A Family Weekend at Big Bear Lake, California
A green oasis located in the vast brown desert of Southern California, Big Bear Lake offers shopping, eating, relaxation and outdoor activities for everyone to enjoy. Big Bear Lake makes for the perfect family getaway for all ages. In this article I will talk about all the fun activities for families to enjoy during the warm weather seasons while visiting this gorgeous man-made lake.
Activities on the Water
- Fishing – Big Bear has an ample supply of bass, catfish, trout and a variety of other fish to be caught. Head to the sporting goods store to pick up a fishing license and either fish from the shore or off a boat in the middle of the lake. For more info on fishing in Big Bear Lake click here http://www.bigbearcountry.com/fishing-big-bear-lake.html
- Rent a boat – While we were vacationing in Big Bear we rented a luxury pontoon boat and headed out on the lake for several hours. Our kids enjoyed the water and our oldest loved being able to navigate the boat for a little while. There are a variety of boats for rent at the marinas from a basic pontoon boat to a luxury sport boat. There are a few places to rent boats from but we rented from Holloway’s Marina, their website can be found here http://bigbearhollowaysmarina.com
- Water sports – Go down to the marina and rent some jet skis, kayaks, wake boards and more to get on the water for a day of activity. Holloway’s also rents the above mentioned items http://bigbearhollowaysmarina.com/
- Sail on a Pirate Ship – This was one of our favorite things we did. A unique experience we’ve yet to do anywhere else. Climb aboard the Time Bandit and sail away while your very entertaining Captain and his First Mate tell you all about the history of Big Bear Lake and fun facts to go along with it. At the end of the tour cannons are fired and the little ones get to pick a toy from the treasure chest. To learn more about boarding the Time Bandit click here http://bigbearhollowaysmarina.com/thepirateship.html
- Captain John’s Fawn Harbor – Rent the one of a kind Tarzan Boat for a fun and wet adventure on the water. This boat is literally a floating water park fully equipped with a slide, trampolines, multiple levels and a diving board. http://fawnharbor.com/the-tarzan-boat
- A hiker’s/biker’s paradise – Ask someone at your hotel’s front desk for a Hiking Map and you’ll be amazed at the variety of trails available for all experience levels. You’ll find trails from 1.5 miles long to 15+ miles long all with equally beautiful views and surroundings.
- Baldwin Lake Stables and Petting Zoo – Unfortunately, we didn’t have time to experience this one but I think it is definitely one to pass along. Discover beautiful Big Bear on Horseback with rides lasting from 1-4 hours tailored to your level of horseback riding whether you’re a beginner or a well-seasoned rider. http://www.baldwinlakestables.com/
- Big Bear Jeep Experience – Hop into the driver’s seat and take hold of the wheel behind a Jeep as you hit the trails with fully equipped vehicles for the exciting mountain terrain. https://bigbearjeepexperience.com/
- Take flight – See this beautiful mountain landscape from above with a helicopter tour. Helicopter Big Bear has a variety of tours available in all price ranges. http://www.helicopterbigbear.com/
- Walk around The Village – A quaint little street full of boutiques, toy stores, food and more fun finds this main road is the perfect place to stroll and browse. http://www.bigbearlakevillage.com/
Family Fun & Happenings
- The Big Bear Trolley – Take in the sights of Big Bear while your trolley conductor educates you on the history and interest points of Big Bear Lake. It’s only $5 for unlimited re-boarding and with all the stops included in this ride you just can’t pass it up! For more information and trolley schedule click here http://www.bigbearlakevillage.com/do/community-services/mountain-transit-big-bear-trolley/
- The Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain – Located at Magic Mountain this is one the entire family will love. Take the ski lift up to the top of the hill, hop on your bobsled and race down the ¼ mile slide. You can control the speed of your sled with a speed stick located inside. While at Magic Mountain enjoy Go Karts, Mini Golf, a water slide, some arcade games and food. http://www.alpineslidebigbear.com/
- The Bowling Barn – One of my family’s favorite things to do is go cosmic bowling: where the lights are out, everything glows and the loud music drowns out the sound of the balls striking the pins. Head to The Bowling Barn for a fun day of bowling or a fun night of glow bowling. http://bowlingbarn.com/
- Big Bear Alpine Zoo – The Big Bear Alpine Zoo is not your average zoo, it serves as a rehab facility for a variety of creatures. With a diverse collection of animals it will make for a day of discovering the wild. Grizzly and black bears, ring-tail cats, foxes, eagles and more are all waiting to meet you! http://bigbearzoo.org/
- Big Bear Funplex – Anyone else enjoy some good Laser Tag? How about some black light miniature golf? Big Bear Funplex has these and more activities to make for some great indoor family fun. http://bigbearfunplex.com/amusement-center/4456880
- Big Bear Speedway – I don’t know about your family but mine is hugely into anything with wheels and speed. Go Kart Racing is a great way for all of us to have some friendly competition and enjoy each other. Choose either a single or double kart and hit the track for some fast and exciting laps. https://www.bigbear.com/member/index.aspx?id=630
Big Bear Lake makes for a fantastic and affordable family getaway with an array of activities to satisfy everyone. Whether you’re craving an outdoor adventure or a relaxing retreat you will find it hidden in the San Bernardino mountains.
Big Bear Lake also makes for the perfect romantic getaway. Plan a weekend of romance using my guide http://www.thewannabegypsy.com/2017/11/big-bear-lake-a-romantic-getaway/